Friday, 5 February 2016
Doctor’s Consultation----How to Optimize the Limited Time
You consult a doctor only when you are not well and need medical advice, diagnosis, and treatment.
Of, course you are not in your physical best, so expecting concentration, clear & explanatory communication, and normal grasping of information is not justified in such a health condition. But, this only is the time when you have to talk to the doctor and explain him everything about your problem, that too in a limited consultation time. So, you have to be clear about a certain things that can let you make the most out of the doctor’s consultation. These points remain effective with online doctors as well.
Points to consider during doctor’s consultation:
1. Male or female; a doctor is a doctor: Do not hesitate to share your problem with the doctor. Sometimes, a male can be a gynecologist and a female can be a specialist of men’s health. Always remember, a doctor is a doctor and for him or her you are only a patient. So give details of your complications without shying away. However, to ensure your comfort level, you can have a family member along with you during the consultation.
2. Be honest to the doctor: You might be having a problem for too long or a significant past medical history, social history, or habits that may affect your current health. If you hide information from your doctor, it may lead to a poor diagnosis and treatment plan. So, be honest to your doctor and ensure you get a treatment based on complete analysis of your details. Doctors are someone, you need to trust and be honest with for your well-being.
3. Carry notes of important points to discuss with the doctor: It is possible that you forget some important points you had to ask, so making a list of things you want to ask your doctor is a good idea before going for an appointment. Make a note of questions to ask the doctor about your health issues. Also, note down the medicines or supplements you are currently taking, this will help you not consume the precious consultation time. Carry this list for your appointment and make efficient use of the given consultation time.
4. Do not hesitate to ask: The medical diagnosis, prognosis, and plan of action may include a lot of medical terms and things you have no idea about. But to proceed further with a complete treatment that really helps you, ask clearly about everything you are not sure of. It’s your health and a wrong move can drastically affect you. Your consultation or booking appointment with doctor empowers you to ask anything that concerns your health. So, leave hesitation for better understanding of your health condition and its improvement through treatment.
5. Be sure of the instructions or processes to follow: During your doctor’s appointment, you may be advised for certain tests or procedures and medications. Make sure you have understood everything properly. To proceed further with the diagnostic tests, any confusion may result in wrong or inadequate reports which will lead to wrong diagnosis. So, ask your doctor to explain to you everything in a manner that makes it clear to you.
6. Get comfortable with office staffs: Apart from your doctor’s consultation, other people who matter and who may help you are the office staffs, nurses, and boys. If you are a regular patient to a particular doctor or hospital, they may also guide you with some instructions that will save your time during consultation with the doctor. However, new patients should also get friendly with them to utilize their consultation time better.
Wednesday, 3 February 2016
Zika Virus has been declared as “public health emergency of international concern” by WHO. It has affected 22 countries across Central and South America and is rapidly spreading to grab other countries in Asia-Pacific as well. In January 2016, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued travel guidance on affected countries, including the use of enhanced precautions, and guidelines for pregnant women including considering postponing travel. On February 2, 2016, Dallas County Health and Human Services confirmed the first case of transmission in the United States.
However, till now, not a single case of Zika virus has been registered in India. This does not mean, India is not vulnerable to the infection. The national center for disease control in India is already on a high alert and is getting equipped with laboratory diagnostic research and findings to fight the disease, if reported.
The worrisome news for India is that the carrier mosquito of this disease, which is Aedes mosquito is found in every part of India and India with a poor mosquito control scenario stands vulnerable to the disease. Anyone entering the country infected with this virus can spread the disease through Aedes mosquito bites. And the worst part is that, we still don’t have any medication or vaccine available for this disease. However, with online activities and awareness campaigns, people can be made aware of the condition and the precautions they can take.
Symptoms of Zika virus Infection:
· 80% of the people remain asymptomatic because the symptoms are not very severe. However, it is marked with continuing mild fever, skin rashes, and conjunctivitis. The person may also experience headaches and muscle and joint pains.
· These symptoms are similar to other diseases spread by the same vector like chikungunya and dengue. The symptoms usually last for 2 to 7 days.
· A pregnant woman infected with Zika virus may result in having a child with birth defects and a condition known as microcephaly.
Diagnosis of Zika Virus
Zika virus is diagnosed through blood test like polymerase chain reaction and virus isolation.
Prevention of Zika Virus
The Indian government is cautious about the situation and is taking ample care to prevent the spread of this disease by stopping them right at the entry points like international airports.
Nonetheless, everyone personally should try to take preventive measure to ensure they do not get infected by Zika. What all you can do?
1. Do not let water stagnate in and around you. It will breed mosquito which are the carriers of the virus.
2. Try to keep the body covered with full-sleeve dresses to avoid any contact with mosquitos.
3. Use mosquito repellant body creams and liquids to keep mosquitos away.
4. Use mosquito nets while sleeping which ensures complete protection against the mosquitos.
Safety at each level is important and we are answerable to our own safety. So, be cautious, take precaution, and be healthy.